This is Middle Rasen, Lincolnshire

Duck Race 2018 |Church Services | Local Events|Primary School
Whats On | Duck Race |Group Activities |
|Local and Parish Councils Notices | Sports Equiptment | Information on LA Charges | Middle Rasen Cemetery |
|View ALL Services|Taxi | Bus and Train | School | School | Home Delivery | Post Office | Housing | Dental | Doctors
| Village Hall & Sport | Sports Equiptment | Bowling Green | Duck Race |
Youth Activities | Guides | Brownies | Rainbows | Primary School News | Preschool |
Community Spirit Magazine | Middle Rasen Gala |Duck Race | West Rasen Heritage Centre | Toft and Faldingworth | Faldingworth Live |
WI | Lunch Club | Horticultural Society | Art Group | Village Hall & Rec| John Wilkinson Trust & Other Charitable Trusts |
| Anglican C of E | Church Services | Holy Rood RC| Methodist Church | Salvation Army|New Life|Home Groups | TMiddle Rasen Church Hall|

A website for the community of Middle Rasen in Lincolnshire

 

MIDDLE RASEN PARISH COUNCIL

The next 2 meetings are on Tuesday 16th October18th and Tuesday 20th November 2018. There is a public forum from 7.20pm followed by Council Meeting which commences at 7.30pm prompt.
Read ...... Middle Rasen Parish Council's News,. ......or......The role of parish councils in small communities ...or ......send an email to the Parish Council ...or ...... planning fee increase ......or ... flood issues ......& .... correspondence for your attention

Flood Alleviation Scheme For more information on the work in Middle Rasen, please contact Charlotte Hughes, Project Leader (L.C.C. Environment & Economy)....tel 01522 782070 ............... click here for the road closure detail

 

 

 

GROUPS & ACTIVITIES

Read the report from Middle Rasen Bowls Group or visit Coffee Cake & Chat or the Lunch Club. If your group is not listed and/or needs a correction please contact Gordon Jennings 0794 888 1121

Read about the Active Seniors Programme, this is the current leisure offer for the whole of West Lindsey. The programme itself is new, and any outreach sessions that aren't based at Gainsborough Leisure Centre arise out of contacts made with Parish Councils in the Summer of 2018.

Middle Rasen's N.Y. Day Duck Race Group
may help sponsor your need, group or event!

See whats on at www.broadbenttheatre.org or ring 0300 400 0101

 

 

Groups in Middle Rasen

CLUB or Group Location
Horticultural Society Village Hall
Games Afternoon Curch Hall
Bowling Club Bowling Pavillion
Short Mat Bowls Group Village Hall
Art Group (oils) Catholic Hall
West Wolds U3A Festival Hall
Drama Group (U3A) Gail Denis
Luncheon Club Methodist Church
Coffee Morning Methodist Church
Women's Own Methodist Church
Coffee Cake & Chat Group Methodist Church
Guides Village Hall
Brownies Church Hall
Rainbows Church Hall
Ranger Guides Village Hall
The Guild
Rase WI Village Hall
Walk To Group Methodist Church
Camera Club Village Hall
Middle Rasen Nursery Middle Rasen School
Middle Rasen Book Club Advocate Arms
Over 60's Keep Fit Club Braemar Close
Bell Ringers Sts P&P's Church
Middle Rasen Toddler Group Church Hall
Middle Rasen Karate Club Village Hall
The FISDAC Academy Village Hall
Active Seniors Gainb Leisure Centre
Yoga Village Hall
Zumba Club Methodist Church

Nature Watch

Watts Wood (Dunholme Reserve)

From humble origins as a cereal field, Watts Wood was been carefully planned and planted by the Watts family and friends over a period of 20 years. Between 1991 and 2000, 3200 trees were planted including some interesting species to create a site more like an arboretum than a native woodland. The trees were chosen for their benefit to wildlife and to provide colour and pleasure to walkers.

Adjacent to Watts Wood are Pickering's Meadow nature reserve and the community woodland Monks Wood, planted by Nettleham Woodland Trust . Nearest postcode: LN2 3NN

The Middle Rasen Parish

Middle Rasen is situated in the district of West Lindsey in the county of Lincolnshire, about 16 miles north east of Lincoln in the lea of the Lincolnshire Wolds. Although the village is mainly contained to the north of the A631, sitting astride the river Rase, the Parish is much larger covering 3622 acres.

The middle settlement between East Rasen, now known as Market Rasen, and West Rasen, it was the most important village of the three in the latter part of the Middle Ages. Indeed much of the northern area of Market Rasen town is in Middle Rasen Parish.
Historic Middle Rasen .......
Middle Rasen's Past, Present and Future ..........

Middle Rasen Christmas Bingo

Christmas Prize Bingo is being held on Saturday 17 th November at the Village Hall. It's "eyes down" at 7.00pm .... Do join us for an evening of fun, laughter and prizes. A raffle and refreshments will be available!

Charitable Funds & Events

Middle Rasen's Macmillan Coffee Morning raised £420 for charity. Richard Harries walked from Land's End to John O'Groats in support of GLOBAL ANGELS this year ..... If you or someone you know oin the village needs help visit the page setting out how to access Charitable Funding from the village trusties.

MIDDLE RASEN CHARITY GALA
22 Sept 18

GALA
NEWS

 

MIDDLE RASEN's TWO MILLS

THE WIND MILL

C:\Users\amforth\Pictures\Mill%20cap%20from%20Richard%20Harries[1].JPG

The Mill in Middle Rasen was built in 1820 and was a working windmill until 1932, when the sails failed. It was run by petrol motor for some time after that but eventually fell into disrepair and became derelict. When we bought the property the mill was little more than the brick shell.

We have rebuilt the cap on traditional lines with the help of a local millwright, Tom Davies. The structure comprises 20 oak struts which sit on a 4" oak wall-plate, which in turn is bolted to a 6" circular steel ring-beam. The struts are first covered with half-inch pine attached horizontally. This is next covered with vertical half-inch planks of western red cedar, a very light and pliable timber which is also quite weather resistant. Here is where we depart from tradition, because a working mill cap originally would have been painted. Since the cap would have rotated so that the overlap of the boards always faced away from the wind the joints between the cedar boards would have been fairly protected from the ingress of rain. In any case, building standards in those days were not as exacting as now. We need a finish which will be reliably weather-proof but provide an appearance which will as closely resemble the original as possible, and for these reasons we have opted for a white fibre glass (or G.R.P.) covering.

Richard Harries

 

THE WATER MILL

There has been a mill here since 1597 and maybe many years longer. There used to be many mills on the Rase but now there are only three remaining, Tealby, Market Rasen and here. The Middle Rasen one being the only one with its original workings mainly in place, the other two having been converted to domestic use. We moved into the property in 1970 when we found the mill to be in a very dilapidated state, with a sagging roof, its gable collapsing and the floor was powder. I had the gable ends repaired and the roof re-instated. The flooring was replaced with oak floorboards rescued from the demolition of Grimsby Hospital (a labour of love on my part). So it is now restored for years to come. The water-course from the river Rase to the mill was put back and the mill pond re-formed. Since coming here I have seen the West Rasen Mill allowed to fall down and the final disappearance of Peck Mill in Market Rasen. The Middle Rasen Mill was last worked in the early 1960's by Fred Cottingham, but has not been used as a mill all the time. In the mid 1700's James Harrison, carpenter, moved in to the mill. He was the brother of John Harrison who formulated the way of calculating Longitude. They left Barton-on-Humber to go to London to try and win the prize offered for this, and James, for whatever reason also decided to come to the mill to carry on his trade of carpentry. In fact he made all the pews for Aylesbury Church near Grimsby at the Mill. James had also previous to going to London with his brother, been the carpenter who made his brothers design for Grandfather clocks, entirely made of wood, even the cogs! Three years ago, the wheel arch was badly damaged during the earthquake, with the keystones dropping, and a nasty split in the wall. Metal tie bars were inserted to support the area and brickwork replaced. The fact is that the three storey building has no foundations which amazed the man who re-formed the Mill Pond, using a drag line, and found the whole base was just shifting sand. They certainly knew how to build in those days. Having re-constructed the Mill and waterway, I hope the Mill will still be extant in another hundred years.

Dr L.G. Parry

   MIDDLE RASEN A SHORT HISTORY

Early history records a Roman settlement on Osgodby Top Road, to the north of the Parish. For governance the parish of Middle Rasen was in the ancient Walshcroft wapentake, a political unit similar to a Hundred in Anglo Saxon England. The wapentake is a collection of parishes and is a term used in former Danelaw region of England. It derives from words meaning “show your weapon”, that is all in favour would raise their swords/axes to show agreement.

In Henry I's time, the 14 th century, a certain William Paynell was lord of the manor in Middle Rasen and he built and endowed St Paul's church. Having also built Drax Priory in Yorkshire, he gave St Paul's church to that Priory. St Peters church was built by the monks of Tupholme Abbey around the turn of the 12 th century. By the 19 th century both churches were in a state of disrepair and in 1860 St Peters was thoroughly restored using some parts of St Pauls in restoration.

According to the book 'Like a Rasen Fiddler' by Mary Shipley, “In 1539, Middle Rasen was able to supply forty nine able men for the wars - archers or billmen. With two churches and two vicars, many farms, outlying cottages, two water mills and a pottery, it was an important place.”

During the reign of Henry VIII churches in the main Lincolnshire towns were extremely rich and possessed very valuable treasures which they thought to be under threat of confiscation by the king. This resulted in the Lincolnshire Uprising in November 1536, when there was general unrest and people marched from Horncastle, Louth, Caistor and other large towns to try to resolve the matter. On their way to Lincoln, marchers camped on Hambleton Hill.

In 1720, John Wilkinson, who owned property in the parish, stated in his will that the interest from one hundred pounds and the remainder of his personal estate shall “cause to be taught with reading and writing sixteen poor children… eight to be chosen out of the parish of Rasen Drax and eight out of Rasen Tupholme…“ This resulted in the setting up of the first schooling in the village. The school, originally known as the ‘Middle Rasen John Wilkinson's Charity School' was built in 1874 to hold 120 children. In 1911 the average attendance was 79. The Charity still supports the school.

In the 19 th century there were Wesleyan, Primitive and Reformed Wesleyan Methodist chapels in the parish. The Primitive Methodist church (1838-1956) was opposite the Nags Head pub on Gainsborough Road. The other two were on Church Street . The present site of the Methodist chapel on Mill Lane was purchased from the Brown Cow pub and the building was erected in 1911 at a cost of £1350. Forty thousand bricks from another village chapel were used in its construction.

Middle Rasen mill on Mill Lane was built circa 1827 and was a working mill until the 1920‘s. Losing its sails by 1931 it was then engine driven. When the last miller died in 1932 it became disused and was later dismantled.

In the early 1900's a villager remembers that “church and chapel were well attended. There were two butchers shops, four general stores, a post office, two cobblers, one bootmakers shop, a tailors shop, one windmill, one watermill and about nineteen thatched cottages.”

More recent memories recall a Canadian bomber, struck by lightening, that crashed in a field behind the church during the Second World War, resulting in the death of its crew.

Please update information seen here by clicking <<Web Mail>>

 

Web Site Manager | Privacy Policy | | Gordon Jennings ©2006 - 18 www.elgo.net

 


 

 

Go to